Thursday, September 24, 2009

No, I'm not here to rob you...

If you saw my last post, you know that I now have a barely functioning immune system, having had a white blood cell crash this week. I'm taking precautions to prevent getting sick, including sleeping at least three feet from Robbie (I'm on a single mattress on the floor in the bedroom vice sharing a bed with him while Liz is gone), slathering myself with hand sanitizer on a regular basis, and wearing a face mask when I go public.

Made my first excursion in a face mask today. Truth be known, I felt a little "Michael Jackson-ish", except without the being dead part. I had to go to the grocery this morning and had been cautioned specifically about going to the grocery by Jenny. On the way home yesterday, I stopped by a local CVS and bought a box of face masks. Pulled on out this morning, put in on, and headed into the store.

At first I felt a little silly, assumed I looked a little silly, and thus was somewhat reluctant to wear the thing. Then I remembered how I looked in the pictures Liz posted in June (and some she didn't post--thank you, Liz) and decided this would be better.

No one stared, no one seemed perturbed, no one even asked. I said "hi" to several folks working, got my stuff, and got out. Bathed in hand sanitizer when I got out of the store.

I'm back home now, where I'll be working for the next several days (weeks?). Current body temp is 98.4. Keep your fingers crossed.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, the possibilities of playing with people's heads while wearing the mask. Perhaps drawing faces reflected your mood onto the masks. A smiley face, a sneer, even a jack-o-latern look (in preparation for Halloween). Anyway, who cares what people think. By the way, not to be pushy, but if you are up for phone conversation, let me know.

    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant reflecting. Hey, what do you expect from a retired English teacher. Perfection?

    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Down here in pig-pickin' country - so I'll put in a personal request that the swine and their evil flu stear very clear of you, Liz and little man for the foreseeable future. Maybe we should slather you in vinegar like we do our BBQ in Eastern NC (back-up option to handsanitizer).
    - Meno

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are doing more than keeping our fingers crossed. In addition to those thoughts we send skyward, we are crossing eyes, feet, and perhaps doing some double cross.....did I say that?

    The St. Andrew's Choir and fearless rodney

    ReplyDelete