Monday, September 14, 2009

Long Monday on the Last Week of Chemo

Well, I had my first of my last four chemo sessions today, though for a while I wasn't sure it was going to happen. It was one of those days. I got to bed plenty early last night, got up at 5:30 a.m., abluted, and hit the road by 6:10. I was about 20 mins from the house when I realized that I had forgotten the activation card for my laptop, with which I had planned blog and work today. It wasn't until I got to the Georgetown parking garage that I realized that I had also forgotten my cell phone, so I couldn't call others to ask them to do the work I was going to do. Not a great start.

Up to the seventh floor and into room 10. IV inserted by Sonia and blood drawn for my labs by 09:00. It normally takes until around 10:30 for lab results to come back and to have my drugs ordered. Today we had a hiccup--my absolute neutrophil count (ANC) had come out back at a number of 974. You have to have an ANC of at least 1000 to start chemo. Rather than send me to the store for more neutrophils, they sent the sample to have a hand count done (now there's a great job--neutrophil counter), which returned a value of 1250. It returned that value at around 1:30 p.m., and it was only then that my Rituxin and Fludarabine were ordered. Bottom line--I finished infusing around 6:00 p.m. and got home just after 8:00.

On the good side, my appetite has started to come back. I had a chicken salad sandwich and tater chips for lunch, with no apparent ill effects. I also gambled and for dinner had a cheesesteak from Wawa (for my southern friends, it's a convenience store chain). I'll let you know how that works out tomorrow.

Going to bed now, as I have to get up in about nine hours. Night, night.

No comments:

Post a Comment