Saturday, September 19, 2009

Done with Chemo (for now)

It doesn't seem possible, but I'm done with infusion chemotherapy, at least for a while. I went in yesterday for my growth factor shot and that was that. Now, I still have CLL and it's still detectable, so I'm far from done with treatment--in fact I'll probably start the next phase of my clinical trial in November. But for now, no more IV's, no more liquid Benedryl, and sadly, no more Jamela, Mercedes, Mary Ellen, Sonia, Rasheeda, and Marta. The ladies on the Seventh Floor are truly professionals and good people who never fail to raise spirits. They know who has kids, who has new grandkids, and they always ask. I can truly say I never had a bad "stick" in those rooms. Thank you, nurses and staff of 7 West. We didn't drive the CLL into remission, but we sure beat the heck out of it.

Robbie and I are currently sitting in the Dulles Hyatt, while Liz is 12 miles north at the Algonkian Regional Park, should have just started to run a trail half-marathon. She is insane. We had a delightful dinner with Jim and Elena last night, highlighted by Elena's scratch made Chicken Parmigana. It was the most "real food" I've eaten in ages and it was really good. Rob and I will be getting breakfast soon, then may take a ride over to the park where Liz is running. I'm hoping that this is small enough an event that we may actually be able to see her finish (which should happen around 11:30).

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing chemo. Now that the jabbing is done(no pun intended)(Well,maybe), it's time for the knockout. Then it's the Art Museum steps. Next, forget the cheesesteak, go for the Tony Lukes Pork Italiano. It's almost as good as sex. I guess you can tell I'm getting old. Anyway, wishing everyone the best.

    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    Congratulations! I have been reading your blog since I found out why you dissed us at the Hatboro reunion.
    FYI...My mom was diagnosed with non-Hodkins
    in 1976. She will be 76 next month. She also survived two bouts of breast Ca.
    You are in my prayers daily!
    Pat T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim - Guys like you win battles like this. You've got a permanent spot in my prayer "hit parade" until you tell me otherwise.
    - Meno

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your graduation!! What a relief to be through this stage! I hope you get back to your normal self soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just couple of notes: 1.) I'm really glad the first stage is over, still a ways to go but this is a great achievement for our whole family. 2.) I'm really not that insane just directionally challenged since I got lost during the race and turned my half marathon into a 3/4 marathon. 3.) If anyone has a chance the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy center is truly an incredible place to visit for anyone who loves planes. They have everything from the SR-71 Blackbird (Robbie's favorite) to the Space Shuttle. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim, congratulations on finishing the first stage! Remission is in sight, I am sure!! Progress is good and you've kept it going. I hope we get to see more of you during your treatment break. Kim B.

    ReplyDelete