Sunday, June 28, 2009

On The Mend

Hi all,

It's about 6:30 Sunday morning and I thought I would let you know how things are going. Quick answer is "slowly better". I'm taking a couple of naps a day, and otherwise trying to take things in a deliberate approach to rebuilding strength. I got on the scale this morning and found myself below 200 lbs for the first time in 12 years.

Another interesting issue is that I was strapped down/restrained for several of the first days in the ICU. I must have fought that, because both shoulders are painful, particularly at night. Also, my last couple of nights on the general ward shredded any sleep schedule I had. As a result sleeping through the night has been difficult, but it is getting slowly better. I was probably up 4-5 times last night, but it was the first night I didn't wander downstairs for a while.

Liz is in Seattle for a few days for a long-planned half-marathon (God knows she deserves the stress release) and has left Robbie and me in the loving care of her sister, Kate. Kate has been my sister-in-law for almost 19 years, and we've talked more and more substantively over the last three days than we did in the time previous. She is a wonderful, kind, and informative person. I sorry I waited so long to get to know her this well.

Kate has convinced me that my body needs calories to rebuild, so yesterday the three of us went to a local diner. I had my first chocolate milk shake in years. This morning I had a PB&J sandwich and a banana for breakfast.

On Tuesday, it's back to Georgetown. First for an echocardiogram to ensure there was no heart damage and then to meet with Dr. Cheson.

Vic L.: love the icon picture (you sexy beast).

One last note: my brother-in-law Buster came through his quadruple bypass surgery great and should be going home today or tomorrow. Thank you all for your prayers.

7 comments:

  1. Really glad to hear that both you & Buster are recovering. Looking forward to more good news after your Tuesday appointment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim -

    You're an inspiration for us all in how you're weathering this setback and yes, keeping your inimitable sense of humor. Please know that you and your family are in our prayers.

    Warm wishes,
    Steve Eastburg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim
    It is so good to see and "hear" you and to know you are feeling better. To say that we miss you (and your wit) doesn't cover it. So many things to riff on (how's your moon walk?) I am keeping a list. Please thank Liz for keeping up the blog - it was much appreciated.
    cris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim,
    When there were no blog entries for a few days, we got worried. We are so glad to see you home and looking so good. You look great, even if you don't feel great. We shared our prayers with you on Thursday while praying we wouldn't drive off the cliff on the way up the "hill" to Sequoia Nat'l park.

    The Patels

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim,
    Glad to hear you are doing well. We will keep the prayer chain going and look forward to more good news.
    Andrea and Bob Haney

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to hearing what life is like w/o people paying you to put up with, manage, or counter 'stuff'. Enjoy the PB&J, chocolate milk, and discovering that extra sister you did not have the last time you were seven years old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you're getting better. Ellen Lewis

    ReplyDelete