Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hard lessons to learn

It's funny how you can go through life not always understanding the meaning of the promises you make. It's been driven home to me over the last few days what "for better or for worse, in sickness and in health" really mean. Some things that you have to do make it clear though. As Wilson said to me this morning, "Sometimes there are no easy decisions, just decisions."

Anyway, Tim is still making forward progress. It's slow and we've had some setbacks today. As a note, each time the hospital tries a different course of treatment, I have to sign an authorization for treatment. This has been for all of the lines they've put in, dialysis, some specific tests, etc. Each time I sign the consent form I think about the impacts on Tim for each of them. Most of the treatments are painful, all of them are necessary, all of them give us the information we need to help him get better. None of them are fun for Tim though. I told him today right before I left, "Look, I signed the consent form, when you wake up you can yell at me. Just don't blame Wilson if I'm not here."

We were very concerned today about how long it was taking Tim to wake up. He wasn't really himself today again. I talked to the attending physician and she agreed that it was reasonable to be concerned and sent him for some additional tests. They aren't back yet, but should be tomorrow. As I was driving home today Wilson texted me that Tim was suddenly very responsive and starting to talk. I hope everything starts to move forward again tomorrow.

Robbie and his entire class made a get well card for Tim that I'm bringing them tomorrow. I have high hopes he'll be able to read it.

Until tomorrow - Liz

5 comments:

  1. Love the fruit loop picture in the previous post! Yes, Robbie is one cool dude.

    ICU life is hard to describe emotionally unless you've been through it. It's a roller coaster of sorts and gives a new outlook on life and humanity. Some days are giant leaps forward and others are seemingly small steps backwards. But sometimes it seems that those small steps backwards and needed for the next giant leap forward. Tim will get there....he's a fighter and he has a load of people on his side! Hope you find another GIANT leap tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait to read tomorrow's update. :D Love and prayers to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz-Thank you for the updates. We look forward to them everyday. We will continue to send prayers Tim's way for a speedy recovery. The office has been WAY to quiet without him...ho hum boring!!!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz - my every thought is with you and Tim. Tim's a strong one, body and mind. I've been through this enough with family that I know there are big bumps in the road. If it helps, my Mom had breast (41yrs) and cervical (65yrs) cancers and is still kick boxing, dancing, and going to spin class at 72yrs. Life has its suckey parts. It will get good. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz & Family,
    Can't imagine, can't compare...won't even try. Wisdom from your previous rings so true, the promises we make, decisions we make, the debts that can never be described in terms of money. What a shining example for us and how blessed is your family for what you do to keep them together.

    Prayers for you, Tim, and Robbie~ as always.
    The Byrne family, Ridgecrest CA

    ReplyDelete