Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another day - some more progress


Tim is making good progress so far, the dialysis is really helping him. I sometimes have to remind myself that progress is measured differently in the ICU than in other places. I really thought that when he woke up (and he is awake, though intermittently) that he'd be back to himself fairly quickly. And he will be, but on ICU time not normal time.

What that means is that for now he is not really himself - his renal function has been so low that he still has a lot of toxins in his system that are impeding him. So he isn't able to communicate yet, though he opens his eyes when you ask him to and looks around for up to a minute or so. He is definitely grumpy though - and according to the doctors that's a good thing. His attending physician smiled when I told her he was angry, she said "That's good - the angrier they are at what we are putting them through the faster they get out of here."

So, I think we are probably looking at a week or so of slow progress before Tim can really communicate with anyone. So for now, I still think we need to keep visitors to family only. I'll let you know as soon as that changes.

On another note - I have always respected Tim's brother Wilson for all that he does for his family. I now have personal experience with it at a level I never had before. For the first three days that Tim was in the ICU, my sister Kate (who will be the subject of another post) spent the night in the room just to ensure that Tim had someone there who was family at all times. For the last two nights, and tonight will make it three, Wilson has done the same thing. Only he hasn't gone home at all. He's also making sure we all have the latest information when we can't be there. He's truly a hero to Tim, Robbie and I for all he's done.

Robbie asked me today, "What if Daddy stayed in the hospital forever?", I'm glad that won't be happening though it does feel long.

Everyone take care. Liz

Note: The picture needs no words...

5 comments:

  1. Another day and more good news. My dad was on dialysis for 8 years so I've seen the amazing results of the procedure. I'm praying that it won't be long now before your old Tim is back.

    Thanks again for the update, Liz. I'm so glad Tim has you and Robbie in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the pic! Looks like an LSU t-shirt, awesome. A bit of Tiger spirit cannot hurt. Thanks so much for keeping the blog going, Liz. It's great/reassuring to know what's going on without pestering or getting in the way. If you want us to hang out with Sunshine please do not hesitate to call Rebeckah or me. We're on the periphery but ready to do anything at all to help.
    ~peg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's that cool little dude in the shades!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news, love to hear thre's improvement by any scale!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm too tired most of the time to respond to all the comments but I REALLY appreciate them. Just so you know a couple of things:
    Peggy - you are definitely not on the periphery, really. You are a key part of this.
    Lisa - Thank you so much for keeping a core part of the Louisiana crew (krewe?) informed. It really helps.
    Ellen - Thanks, I'm glad to know that you're listening.
    Mike - Tell your son Ryan that Robbie wants to meet him and share toys.

    Everyone else - keep the faith. I told Tim today that it was going to be OK and I meant it. Liz

    ReplyDelete