Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The ventilator is out and Tim's awake

The ventilator is out!!! For that alone this is a great day. There is some unique background on this that I haven’t shared, mainly because I wanted to wait until I was sure about Tim’s prognosis.

On Friday last week, I got a call from the hospital effectively saying “come quickly, his breathing is deteriorating. He wants to talk to you before we do anything.” Needless to say my driving was as close to NASCAR as I could get it on the way to the hospital. DC traffic still managed to make the trip close to 2.5 hours. My stress level kept going up despite Kate’s efforts to slow me down, and Robbie’s comments of “there sure are a lot of horns, Mommy.”

I arrived at Tim’s room and the situation was pretty serious. The doctors told both of us that they needed to put Tim on a ventilator now and they couldn’t tell him for how long or when he would be off of it. Then they left us alone to talk. He asked me what to do and I had no hesitation. I said something along the lines of “You go on the ventilator, it’s your best chance and we’ll all be here waiting for you to wake up.” I’m glad that with everyone’s help, Tim’s toughness, and a lot of prayers, he woke up. Grumpy as sin, but awake.

On a lighter note, the following is a list of some things I really never thought I’d be grateful for, but really am.

1. Fruit Loops – 5 year olds love them and I no longer have any guilt for giving them to Robbie for breakfast.
2. Spongebob – For those of you who watch, no explanation necessary. For the rest of you, well…yes, it IS bad.
3. Spongebob Macaroni – yes you can actually get Kraft Macaroni and cheese shaped like Spongebob.
4. Ibuprofen – It comes in the 500 tablet economy size!!
5. On-line banking – Did you know you can pay all your bills on line with an IPhone? I have become a walking advertisement for Apple.
6. GUH Gift shop – it has candy and really stupid pens that 5 year olds like.
7. Sunshine’s snoring – I actually really missed it while we were away. And she snores like an old man with a deviated septum…
8. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing – If you douse any food with enough of it, Robbie will eat it.
9. No air conditioning – Really (both the house and car air conditioning are on the fritz right now.) When we slept at Elena and Jim’s with air conditioning that worked it was such a contrast we slept REALLY well.
10. Father’s Day 2009 – Tim’s going to be around to see it.

Have a good nite. Liz

9 comments:

  1. Liz, this brought on a little bit of laughter and a little bit of tears all in one. INCREDIBLY glad the vent is out and that Tim is awake! Please give him our best! And hey, when it comes to kids sometimes you do what you gotta do. We got Elena to eat soup but putting goldfish crackers in it. As always, your family is in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear about the improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Liz, what terrific news!!! Can't wait to share it with everyone here. Big hugs and hurrahs to all 3 of you.

    Happy Father's Day, Tim! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz,

    What great news! You and Robbie hang in there! Your e-mail was so uplifting! It's times like this that really make you appreciate all of the good things that life has to offer. I will keep my prayers in for the three of you and can't wait to see Tim's smiling face again and for him to share some more of his wonderful sense of humor. Take Care.

    P.S. Tell Tim I said "HAPPY FATHER'S DAY" on Sunday.

    Irma Wright-Ford

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz-Wonderful news! I know the road will be difficult and hard but at least you are all headed in the right direction. Sending positive vibes and prayers your way! Please tell tim we all said "hi"! I only live about 2 miles from you guys down Chingville Rd. If there is ANYTHING I can do to help let me know..letting Sunshine out or whatever..you name it! Kelly Morris

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great news. We're all sending you our thoughts and prayers. Don't feel guilty about the Fruit Loops and Sponge Bob - my kids all survived - even Elizabeth! Let us know if you need anything - we're just a phone call away. Ellen Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great email to begin the day! Whew! I will let the choir and consort now we are on the road back now and there will be celebration on Sunday morning when we get together.
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts and prayers are with you all! I am more than willing to help out wherever need be. Thank you for keeping up the blog Liz, I know how hard it must be to put into words the things you have been feeling/going through the past week, and I both admire and appreciate your courage for doing so.
    Robbie: I completely understand why you like watching Sponge Bob. There really is nothing that can compare to a good old marathon of pure nonsense to cheer you up! :)
    Sponge Bob: "Who here knows how to play an instrument?"
    Patrick: “Oh, Oh I do! Wait... Is mayonnaise an instrument?”
    "I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready!"
    "Bring it arouuuunnnnddd town"

    I’ll see you soon Tim!

    Kayla Keen

    ReplyDelete