Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Power of Prayer and a Medical Update

Thanks to all for the kind comments and good thoughts.

Thanks particularly to all those who included me in their prayers. If you wonder the effectiveness, or if you'd like know what a miracle looks like, it looks like this: sitting listening to your five-year-old son reading "Green Eggs and Ham" just three weeks after the ICU Lead Attending Physician told his team, "We're going to lose this one." I'll claim a small amount of credit for general cussedness (he didn't know who he was dealing with) but I know that the prayers and positive thoughts pouring in from all of you supported me in the times that were touch and go.

SHORT MEDICAL UPDATE: Went to Georgetown yesterday to have an electrocardiogram and to see Dr. Cheson. My heart appears to be in fine shape, I'm still in the clinical trial (although we may have to rethink the dosages), my kidney function is getting better as I flood the creatinine out of my kidneys, and the infectious disease people don't want to see me any more.

LONGER MEDICAL UPDATE: Unofficially (as interpreted by the tech performing the procedure, a great guy who is also a Navy Chief corpsman), my heart's in great shape, all valves firing, functioning at 100%. This is up from a low of 15% during the "bad week". As a aside, Dr. Cheson said he had never heard of a number that low. We got into see Dr. C. at 1:00 for our 11:30 appointment. Every person who had seen me at the ICU was visibly shocked when they first saw me in the exam room. All agreed my looks have improved. I have a several appointments in a couple of weeks--full body CT scan on the 13th, Dr. Cheson on the 15th, and working for an appointment with nephrology (kidney) folks on the 17th.

One slightly disquieting item. There was some fear that I might have a fungal infection in my central nervous system, so to combat that possibility, I was perscribed a two-month supply of a drug called VFEND. Without insurance, the VFEND would have cost $5200. I took it for five days and was then told, "Spinal fluid cultures came back negative, no need to take the VFEND." I'm going to work with my father-in-law, who's on the board of a Free Clinic around Appomattox, to try and find if something useful can be done with the rest. I understand the clinic may be able to swap the dispensed drugs for new drugs with the drug manufacturer. Gives you some insight into just how expensive drugs can be, and why some kind of health insurance/safety net is so important.

There's more, but one of the interesting side effects of fighting arm restraints while out of your head for several days is nerve damage in your wrists that runs up and makes all your fingertips numb. Great for typing. And I'm not fixing typos--figure it out in context.

Thanks again. Sometime soon we're going to have a "thank you" party/cookout here at the house. It will be driven by Liz's schedule, but we'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Tim

7 comments:

  1. Loose you...not a chance. We were there with you in spirit and prayer. And most important for all of us, in music. You were never far away.

    The choir of St. Andrew's

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad, Tim. So incredibly glad. Damn the typos.

    Judy Patel, etcetera

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually discuss spiritual issues with anybody, mostly because my irreverent image of a higher power often offends, well.. pretty much everybody.
    But this post combined with Liz's top ten list makes me want to give God a huge Top Gun-style double high-five. Good Game Big Guy.
    I am in tears, in total Awe at the power of prayer. The original Performance Enhancing Substance.
    I can't wait to see what miracles are yet to come, but God will be hard pressed to ever beat "Green Eggs and Ham".
    See you soon,
    Bob Haney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe how well you look after what you have gone through. Isn't God wonderful! Glad to hear that you are blessed with such wonderful family members. It is truly a blessing. You and your family continue to be in our prayers. Robert said to send you his greetings and his prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little extreme to get out of TFR CS drills... I'm glad you're doing better and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim, Tough as Nails amigo! In our prayers as always as well as your family who've earned their angels wings already. Screw the typo's, how about using the european keyboard just for fun =))) Have to tell you I don't have a gripe-one coming after reading how you've handled all this...and an emphatic YES to good insurance with all that I've come across...God Bless the doc's as well. Cheers Classmate- Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I started a new job on June 8th. I've been watching the facebook wall, but with moving to Houston, I had not been checking the blog. My goodness what a birthday. Liz did a great job filling in. You guys are ALWAYS in my prayers. Sometime you will haave to explain the "flying spaghetti monster" religious view. Stay strong and God bless.

    ReplyDelete