Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tim's Wild Weekend and Creatinine Update

It's been a busy several days, but I didn't realize it had been almost a week since I last posted. My apologies to those of you who have been so faithful in your reading. I'll try not to leave you hanging again.

Before I begin, two things I thought I’d never say: 1) “I really need to gain weight.” and 2) “I am so sick of eating.” I’ve eaten food over the last two weeks that would have put 15 lbs on me five months ago, and now I’ve gained 1. There is no justice. [pause for expressions of sympathy and understanding]

I've got news, medical and social/family. First social.

To all who are wondering, I'm feeling better and better every day. I am much more mobile, and while I still get tired, it's much better than even a week ago. So much so that I'm allowing myself one "adventure" a day. These mostly involve going somewhere and sitting down to watch something (I've changed my definition of "adventure").

Liz and Robbie left Friday for her family's annual reunion in New Jersey. I really would have love to have gone, but I could tell the travel and party were still outside my limits. After seeing them off, I accepted the offer of my friend Robin, who took me--along with her family--the an orchestra performance at the local college, complete with an incredible jazz singer (Hilary Cole--look her up in iTunes) and a fireworks display at the end that exploded overhead while the orchestra played "The 1812 Overture". It was great. At intermission I ran into my friends Alan and Nancy, who invited me over for dinner the evening of July 4th. They were going afterward to their next door neighbors', mutual friends Chuck and Jenny. Chuck later made the invitation official.

Wonderful dinner of BBQed shrimp and grilled vegetables followed by a great fireworks show. Chuck's backyard had a incredible view of the festivities without the usual parking problems. Also saw many other friends at Chuck's who were suprisingly happy to see me (hmm, I don't think I owe them money). Thanks to everyone for a fabulous Friday and 4th.

I went to church on Sunday and received an embarrassing, heartfelt "welcome back". Went into work to say "hi" yesterday for an hour or so, and again today to see a friend graduate from a development program on base. Other than that, I veg.

On Monday, Liz left for a trip. My sister-in-law Jennifer was standing by to come up and help with the Robster. After some thought, I told her that I would go it alone. I'm feeling better and I thought it would be less disruptive for Robbie to have just the two of us in the house. It has worked out like a dream. He has been (with some small exceptions) an angel.

OK, medical news: had a blood test yesterday. Now a little background: each of you, as you sit there, are producing through your kidneys a chemical called creatinine. The normal range of creatinine is 0.5 to 1.5 (units unknown). Anything higher is a sign of reduced kidney function. While I was in the hospital, my creatinine levels were 56782. OK, not that high, but high. When they released me, my levels were at 5. Last Monday, I was at 2. I had an unreasoning fear this week it would be higher again. No fear—I am at 1.6, meaning nearly normal kidney function. I’m not out of the woods, but it’s mostly scrub around my knees these days.

Thanks so much for your continued interest and support. Really, thank you.

Tim

P.S. Happy Anniversary to Cristina and KC.

6 comments:

  1. Way to go Tim. Makes me wonder what the body builders do with all the creatine they drink. I just figured it was what made them all gassy, I had no idea it had anything to do with the kidneys. Glad you're doing better. As my mother's doc said when she questioned why it was taking her so long to recover "You spent a week in the hospital without food, even if I didn't take a foot out of your colon, you'd be weak." I'm so glad to hear of the improvements. I never really properly thanked you for your help and guidance over my 6 months or so at PMA-231. Thanks, you made all the difference in the world. I'm truly glad you're doing better.

    -Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. On May 28 you posted "I feel a little guilty that it's been so boring lately." Please ... never, ever, ever say that again =) I'm so glad that things are returning to "normal". Boring is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to be an inspiration - even a "slow on the uptake guy" like you are probably picking up on that reading our posts.

    Seriously, keep on gettin' it...

    - Meno (of 4.9 Cherry Point fame?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason, I was making the same error. Body builders intake "creatine". Our kidneys are making "creatinine". Probably related, but not the same. Liz pointed this out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim, you are amazing! Just simply amazing! Glad to read your post this morning. I check every day and would be considered one of the ones "hanging" when there's nothing there. I agree with Peg...let's keep it boring though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You, Liz and Robbie continue to be in our thoughts and prayers! You truly experienced a miracle through this. Dave (4.3D)

    ReplyDelete