Sunday, March 8, 2009

"Why aren't you mad?"

You gotta love March. Less than a week ago, I was camped out in my "no electricity" living room, huddled around a fireplace on a 9 degree night; tonight I went for my evening walk wearing a thin white t-shirt. It's about 65 degrees out, which will seem a little chilly next October, but feels like the French Riviera tonight. While walking I talked on the phone with my mom.

Mom (and please don't wait to get cancer to start talking to your mom on a regular basis) is mad at my family doctor. She's mad because he blew it--I showed him what turned out to be swollen lymph glands at my annual checkup eight months before this sleigh ride began. I went untreated for two-thirds of a year after I should have been diagnosed. Mom's mad and we've talked a couple of times about why I'm not. It's come up enough that I thought I would share.

I'm not mad for a couple of reasons.

First--as polyanna as it is to say--it would be a waste of emotion and a waste of energy to allow a place at the table for that kind of anger. I'm sure there are times when anger at another can be a powerful survival tool (think Clint Eastwood in "High Plains Drifter"), but not when your real 'enemy' is inside your own body. I need my energies channeled into more productive outlets.

Second, I truly believe I'm now in a lot better place to deal with this disease and treatment--and to deal with my future--than I would have been eight months ago.

If I had started Chemo last May, I'd be done now. But I wouldn't have started practicing yoga, and I believe yoga is giving me powerful tools to get through the next several months of Chemo. More importantly, I believe it will help me tremendously in dealing with the emotional challenges inherent in living with CLL for the rest of my life.

I started taking yoga classes last spring, just a few weeks after my physical. Largely through yoga, I lost another 35 pounds and got into the best shape I've been in since we moved to Maryland. I also have begun to discover the spiritual side of the practice. It has given me glimpses of a steady, calm harbor in a sea of emotion and fear. I can only hope that as my practice grows deeper, that calm will spread.

So maybe Dr. X was supposed to misdiagnose the lymph nodes. Maybe he didn't find the cancer because I hadn't yet found the tools I needed to meet all the challenges that this will bring. He didn't find it, because I wasn't ready for him to. I can't be mad at him for that.

3 comments:

  1. I can't argue with your Mom. It is great that she is mad for you so you don't have to waste that good juju that you need right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Timmy (sorry - I've only called you that since 1960. My mom forwarded Miss Norma's forward with your blog. I am so sorry to hear you're going through all this, but glad to see you have a great attitude about it. I think that's paramount to beating back the beast - and your son is undoubtedly the best medicine you could hope for. It's funny, I was just talking about you the other day. Something about the reading circle in 2nd grade. Anyway, I just wanted you to know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please let me know if there's anything I can do. Laurie-Jo (Bauer).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauri Jo,

    So good to hear from you. Believe it or not, I was looking at our kindergarden graduation picture this week and thinking about you. Please email me at timothy.mcmichael@navy.mil if you are so inclined. I'd love to catch up.

    ReplyDelete