Friday, March 6, 2009

CLL Info from the NCI

Short one today, following up my self-recommendation to use this time to get smarter.

Here's a link the National Cancer Society's info page on my new friend, CLL.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/cll

Quick update. Just got off the phone with a rep from the National Institute of Health. They are conducting a study and trial being run by Dr. Gerald Marti that's testing a certain Chemo combintation (FR) and have offered me a spot in that study (or 'protocol' as it's known in the business). I currently have an appointment with them on the 26th of this month.

A quick Google scan shows that Dr. Marti works (or at least worked) for the Food and Drug Administration. As I was following the Google trail on Dr. Marti, I came across what appears to be another good website: http://clltopics.org/index.php. Thank God for the Internet.

Any decision will hinge on the recommendation of Dr. Cheson at Georgetown. If his recommendation matches that of Dr. Kelly, I'm really tempted just start (see last post). I'll research and solicit opinions from my key advisers (you know who you are), then get this train moving.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Friday Timmy
    Of course I'm thrilled that you're considering a clinical trial....sounds really interesting but I'm not sure what FR is ...does it involve Rituxan and Fludarabine. Definitely would wait to see what Dr. Cheson says. What's the actual title of the trial and what phase is it...am gonna guess that it's a Phase 1 or 2....Is it a randomized trial...will you definitely get a treatment or is there a watch and wait aspect to the study...just curious. I'm pretty nosy aren't I???

    Note to self....the internet is a wonderful source of information as I'm sure you know but I caution you on which sites you actually glean your medical info from.
    Cancer.gov. site- excellent site of course...but I'm not familiar with the other site clltopics.org and would tread carefully....

    So hurry and do tell on the info about the study...very exciting
    Anxious in Absecon
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete