Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Vials of Blood for all my Friends! and Good News

YOU ARE VISITOR NUMBER  11

Good visit today with Dr. Cheson, but more on that in a paragraph or two.

After going into work at 6:30 to get a little work done today, I left for Georgetown at 8:15.  Good traffic, good parking, got there at 10:15 for an 11:00 appointment.  I decided to walk the Georgetown campus for a while and do what any good son would do--I called my mother.  I know that's what good sons do, because I asked my brother Wilson, who happens to be a good son.  Mom and I caught up with each other, trading medical stories while I climbed the hills of G-town.

Got back to Lombardi with 10 minutes to spare.  Went in, signed in, got my vitals taken, and went back to the lab to get my two vials of blood drawn.  Went back to the waiting area feeling all smug.  That lasted until Jenny, the trials nurse, found me and dragged me back to the lab area to fill the other six vials that she needed (she told me to call her when I got there, but I forgot.)  So I ended up with symmetric bandages over matching left and right arm blood draws.

I got to talking yoga with the phlebotomist who drew my blood both times.  She said she was looking for some new exercise to lose weight, so I started singing yoga's praises.  Then I got yet another lesson in "have no assumptions".  She mentioned that when younger she used to be a weightlifter.  As will happen, we started talking about 'maxes', and I nonchalantly mentioned that while in college my max bench press was 305 pounds.  With no hint of condescension, she mentioned that she used to bench 350.  I believed her.

ANYway, the good news:  it appears that Revlimid is doing the trick.  The last marrow biopsy shows 'residual' CLL where a year ago my marrow was 50% involved.  Even three months ago it was at 5-10%  involved.  Dr. Bai, a physician working with Dr. Cheson, could barely find any of my lymph nodes, where last year they would have been obvious to a freshman pre-med student.  Of course the good Doctor himself was able to find a couple, but nothing like I've had.  So it looks like this is working.

Now remember, this isn't a cure.  There's not a cure.  But if we can get it into remission, then I buy time until a cure is found.  If/when it comes back again, we drive it into remission again.  It's a long term game I'm playing.  But so far it looks like this round we're making good progress.  If I was drinking during the week, I'd be drinking tonight.

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic news Tim! Health wack-a-mole isn't fun, but if it's what you got, run with it, or at least do Yoga with it! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next Happy Hour round is on you! Since I bought the last one.... Good news. I'm glad to hear it...... Non

    ReplyDelete
  3. CAN I GET A WOOT WOOT FOR CLINICAL TRIALS PLEASE~
    CAN I HEAR AN AMEN SISTER FOR CLINICAL TRIALS???
    LOVE YOU TIMMY!!!
    YOU DA MAN AND MIGHT I ADD THE ABSOLUTE PERFECT POSTER CHILD FOR CLINICAL TRIALS...IN FACT WOULD YOU LIKE TO COME AND SPEAK AT OUR CANCER SURVIVORS DAY ON JUNE 6TH?????
    HAVE YOUR AGENT CALL MY AGENT (kidding about the agent but not about speaking!!!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is GREAT news. Every battle won is a step in the right direction. I can't express how good I feel right now. Your post has made a rather cold, rainy day a lot brighter. Hope verything is well with your mom (and, of course, Liz and Robbie).

    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim,
    This is terrific news. Your positive approach and energy helped you achieve every step...it paid off. Or maybe, it's the support of those great people you work with. Just a thought.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME! So when are we having that drink? Keep kicking it and may it never rear it's ugly head again! (And thanks for testing to see how quickly you'd get responses. I believe I am #11)
    Kim B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yahoo! Great news! Of course your warped sense of humor had a lot to do with this. Lord knows is affects us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. prayers have been heard...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no problem drinking during the week so I'll have one for you.

    I hope you kicked it in the head hard enough that it stays down for darn near a 10 count.

    This is another data point in the category of the physiological response to a positive approach to life and its challenges.

    You da man, Tim.

    - Meno

    ReplyDelete