Sunday, August 23, 2009

When it Rains...



Robbie apparently broke a bone in his foot (a metatarsal) while playing last Thursday at a local amusement spot called the "Jump Place" on a school field trip [see barely visible red circle in adjoining picture]. This place is filled with big inflatable slides and such. While jumping down one of the aforementioned slides, he got his right foot turned under and cracked the bone. We watched it overnight and when it was more swollen and painful the next morning, Liz took him to St. Mary's Hospital (yikes!) where he was x-rayed and diagnosed. St. Mary's put a soft cast on him and gave us a referral. I'm taking him tomorrow to an orthodpod for a more definitive treatment. Poor guy--looks like no swimming or biking for the next couple of weeks anyway.

I'm OK, but I have noticed that the growth factor shots do take the wind out of my sails. I got my most recent shot on Friday, following four days of chemotherapy. Hopefully yesterday was the worst day. I also have a residual, non-productive, hacking cough left over from my "real" chest cold a few weeks ago.

Sunshine (our bulldog) is worrying me, as she not only is drinking (and excreting) lots of water, but since yesterday she hasn't been able to keep down a meal. Joy.

Liz left on travel early this morning and gets home late Thursday night, so this could be a long week. I'll try and keep you posted if energy allows.


UPDATE/UPDATE: Foot's not broken, only strained. Robbie's back in street shoes and can swim, though running around and biking are off the menu for a while. And Sunshine kept down two meals of rice. Things are looking up!

5 comments:

  1. What a good looking kid. Broken foot and all, he's infinitely better looking than his daddy (but you knew that already).
    - Meno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, always wonderful seeing you! Sorry we didn't get to chat more on Saturday. Robbie seemed in good spirits despite the cast. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us a call if you need anything this week. We are practically down the street and are readily available!
    Kim B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you posted the update. I've been feeling very guilty on the west coast. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm out of pocket Wed through Fri afternoon ... after that if you need anything at all please let me know. Really glad that Robbie is ok (thank goodness kids mend quickly). Hope things will fair well for Sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still waiting for more updates on the blog. Robbie looks so mature! I thought he was still four-years old. Or was that a few years ago.

    Judy (Marsupial) Patel

    ReplyDelete