Monday, August 10, 2009

It's deja vu all over again

.
Heading back to Georgetown Wednesday for the pre-chemo checkup, then on to series Five next week. Only remnant left over from last week's fever adventure is a dry, hacking cough that flares up in the evenings. No fever, no throat guck, just a "oh crap, I think I cough unproductively for 15 or 20 minutes" kind of feeling.

Robbie had an scare on Sunday. We've were cleaning out the basement and garage this weekend, with various people inside and outside, upstairs and downstairs. Robbie is big enough that we let him go outside solo (not so scary as we live in the middle of a 2.5 acre pine forest at the end of a cul-de-sac). So Robbie is outside, Liz is upstairs, and I'm in the living room. All the sudden I become aware of a sound that every parent recognizes: the cry of your child in pain. I ran for the door, but Robbie was there before I got outside. He was holding his right hand and crying like crazy. Seems he had been getting something out of the van and had inadvertently closed the sliding door on his fingers. He was stuck, in pain, and scared to death. Through that, he managed to get the van door open then ran to the house. Damage was minimal and addressed with a "Spongebob Squarepants" bandaid. Poor guy had been more scared than hurt, but imagine being five and stuck with no help around. He's fine now.

Nothing really new to report on my front (or on my back for that matter). Just wanted to stay in touch. Thanks for looking in.

2 comments:

  1. My youngest sister did almost the same thing in 1960. Put one hand in the door to brace herself and slamed the door with her other hand. She wasn't able to work the latch with one hand and so was stuck until we got there. I wonder if she remembers the event. I'll have to ask.

    After 8 days in the hospital for recurring staph infection, PG is home again as of 8 PM Saturday. First occurance was 7 day in hospital, three on ventilator, followed by 5 days at home before the recurrance. Most of the time I have been living at the hospital. Typical staph, resistant to almost everything.

    Her dressing covers a gaping hole in her neck. I tell her it looks like too many late night meetings with Jack the Ripper. It is stuffed full of wet to dry gauze dressing. Put the gauze in wet and as it drys it sucks the infection out to be removed with the dry gauze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, hope the treatment goes well. Just don't request any Mantovani music during chemo. I understand the music's side effects raise the sugar level dangerously high. Hope Robbie's fingers are ok. Kids always manage to find something to hurt. Give my best to Liz. Oh, and Anthony says hi.

    ReplyDelete