Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Trip to the Emergency Room with Mr. Superhero Fisherman

Robbie has a new name: he is now "Mr. Superhero Fisherman". As you may know, Liz and Robbie were down in Key West visiting her sister, Kate. After first checking to see how he'd react to having a live fish on the end of his line (he loved it), Liz took him out on a half-day charter boat ride. He loved being on the boat (another block checked). While on the boat, he caught a 24-inch long, 6+ pound grouper. It was the biggest fish caught that day, and earned him the (self-nominated) title of "Mr. Superhero Fisherman."

I had a different kind of excitement today. I had been feeling a little punk since yesterday afternoon, with symptoms which discretion prevents me from listing, but enough to say I knew at all times the location of the nearest bathroom. Things weren't getting any better this afternoon, and I was feeling kind of fuzzy headed, so I took my temperature. 101.6. Now a year ago this would have been in the "so what" category, but given my current situation, I called the attending oncologist at Georgetown, who suggested I get me to the nearest emergency room for blood tests.

Liz and Robbie took me to St. Mary's Hospital Emergency Room, which did not live up to its reputation for ineptitude. In fact everyone there was quite professional and quite good. The only lash up we had was when I told them "Thank you, I don't need an IV, I just need a blood test. If I need an IV, I'll go to Georgetown."

Long story short, blood work came back normal and my directions were to treat the fever with Tylenol.

So now I've had my first "between Chemo sessions" episode, and I gained a lot of trust in the St. Mary's folks.

I go see Dr. Cheson on Tuesday, so I'll probably wait until Tuesday night for the next update. I'll probably also stay home from work tomorrow--I don't need to give this to the 4.0C staff.

Thanks to everyone who continues to read this. Welcome aboard to ufgrad_90. I think I know who you are, and let me same I'm impressed that a Gator can use a computer. ;o)

1 comment:

  1. I sliced open the back of my right hand and went to St Mary's with my hand wrapped in a paper towel wishing I had an automatic instead of a manual mini (I don't wish that often). They were great, and I found out they take the heliport cases and are a decent trauma place. It was right before I left for NYC and being #2 in line when I walked through the door was quite nice compared to my trip to the ER at Roosevelt Hospital on the west side (insert gang sign here). Glad you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete