Saturday, April 10, 2010

Thoughts while mowing

Happy Spring to you all.  I know it's Spring, because I mowed the lawn today.  That was after I went to Ann Hunt's 7-9 a.m. Dynamic Flow yoga class and took Robbie on a two-mile walk.

What struck me while mowing was that last summer--after my June adventure--I didn't have the strength to mow the lawn, much less all the other stuff I did today.  I reflected gratefully on the body's ability to bounce back from adversity and to heal itself.

A personal note to other CLL afflictees:  if given the chance to participate in the Revlimid trial, do it.  Just do it.  One pill a day, 21 days in a row.  No needles, no IVs.  And it seems to be working.  I have all the energy I need to lead a very active lifestyle and so far I haven't had one adverse reaction that could be attributed to the treatment.  People sometimes ask me if I pray for a miracle--I tell them that I'm participating in a miracle and am already receiving the benefits of a miracle.

One other:  I got to see some no-kidding Naval Aviation history today.  The P-8A Poseidon, the Navy's newest anti-submarine warfare aircraft and one that has consumed major parts of Liz's (and Robbie and my) life for the last eight years, arrived in Pax River for the first time around 3:30 this afternoon.  We were there at the arrival end of the runway to see it land--it passed maybe 100' above our heads on the way down to the runway.  There are only so many times that a new airplane is introduced into the Navy, and only once per airplane that it comes to Patuxent River for testing for the first time.  There was quite a crowd with us to greet the airplane, including family members of folks flying on the Poseidon.  Lots of screaming and cheering as it settled down to the runway for landing.  Don't tell me that people here are blase' and that they don't care.  We were there.  We saw it land.  We cheered.  It was cool.  I'll be posting a picture soon that a nice lady there got of Liz and the airplane as it flew by.

TTFN,

Tim

3 comments:

  1. wish i could have been there with you to see that aircraft land.... bet that was something to see!
    Happy to hear you're feeling so good Tim - was great seeing you last week. E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know what you mean. My former house was on the flight path between New River and Cherry Point. Heard this "never heard that sound before" coming from the tree line. Two V-22's side by side in full out airplane mode not a couple hundred feet above me flew buy. Now I know what that sound is - besides it being the Sound of Freedom. At my new house, I get outlying landing field Harriers and Lejeune tank ranges when the wind is blowing just right. Not quite the same.

    I will keep your 21 days of pills advice in mind, should I or anyone (else) I care about be diagnosed with CLL.

    - Meno

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob was there as well to see it land! He wouldn't have missed it for anything. Exciting to see the fruits of many persons labor come into fruition and land right before their eyes! Kim B.

    ReplyDelete