Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Phase II

Robbie is upstairs screaming about some indignity being inflicted upon him--I think he has to get a bath before he's allowed to see anymore of the movie he was watching.  Or it may be that he watched the movie too long and now it is too late for a bath.  Either way, it's the greatest injustice since apartheid.  He is also aghast to learn that even if you scream  "Please Mommy!  Please!" over and over again, there are some things you still just can't get.

Anyway, sitting in front of me here on the bar cap in our kitchen is a perscription bottle containing 21 capsules (5 mg each) of Revlimid.  This the drug at the core of the clinical trial in which I'm participating.  This is the drug we hope will drive my CLL into remission.

There are six caution labels on the bottle:
   Do not chew or crush, swallow whole
   Medication should be taken with plenty of water
   May cause drowsiness or dizziness
   Do not take with asprin without knowlege and consent of your physician

and my two favorites:
   Caution:  New Drug - Limited by Federal (or United States) law
         to investigational use
   Chemotherapy Drug--Toxic--Dispose of as Biohazard

So here we go. 

I'm opening the bottle (Hold tab down, turn) and taking out my first capsule  The capsule is white, about the size of a Contact or Motrin capsule, with "REV" written on one half and "5 mg" written on the other (they've used quite a fancy font).

I've picked up the capsule and am holding it in my left hand.  I would type "It's in my mouth" while it's in my mouth, but I'm remembering that "Do Not Chew..." warning.  May not be good to have it melt in my mouth.  Here we go.  (a drum roll would be appropriate here)

Just took it.  I'm officially into the second phase.  Fingers crossed for no nuetropenia, no deep thrombosis, no tumor lysis, or any of the other things that it is very likely I won't encounter, but could.  More so, let's hope this is the next step to remission.

Can't tell if I'm sleepy or dizzy, but I'm going upstairs regardless.  Good night.

3 comments:

  1. Best wishes Tim. Lots of twists and turns, I hope this one works!

    -Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the beginning of phase II and the final push into remission! Thanks for the entertaining post. :) Kim B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading the cautions and thinking, 'yeah that's on mine and so that and so's that"...but I've got to admit I've never seen anything like the last two...experimental and toxic. Wow.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete