Saturday, February 28, 2009

What I Realized in Yoga Class Today

Having indulged in bad diet and exercise behaviors for the last two weeks, I made a pact with myself to return to the positive ways of dealing with stress I've used for the past year. As a start, I went back to yoga class this morning. It was a good, sweaty hour. Missy, the retired Navy Captain who is our instructor, decided to focus largely an area where I am particularly challenged--the balancing poses. I can work the "strength" poses--Warrior I, Warrior II, Plank, Cobra, etc. It's just a matter of gritting it out and relying on the muscles I've always relied on. But in the balancing poses--Tree, Eagle, Warrior III, Dancer, Half Moon--"big muscle" strength alone won't cut it. You need all the little muscles, you need continuous focus, and you need to control without over-controlling to master these. You can't let your mind wander, you can't overthink, you can't take the time to compare yourself to your fellow students. Do any of these things and you will fall out of the pose. You have to be present in these poses moment to moment.

Not to get too metaphorical, but it made me reflect that while strength will certainly be needed in the coming months (and years), balance will be just as important, and balance is lot harder to achieve and maintain.


Post-posting note: as a little lagnaippe (as us folk from Louisiana like to say), I found the following link to help you visualize the "Bone Marrow" story a little better. Enjoy!

http://www.kendallhq.com/MySnareCoil/overview.asp

4 comments:

  1. Hey Tim. Just thought I'd let you know that I'm following, laughing, smiling, crying, hoping, praying & wishing you strength and balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim- I'm following too - keep it up (along with your spirits) and know that you can rely on all of us around you if you need it. It's kind of funny seeing our sense of humor in writing! JBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was supposed to be YOUR sense of humor in writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim,

    I'm sorry to hear that you are in the hospital. You've been missed here in the office. You are one of the most courageous men that I know and my prayers are with you each day, as I know you will recover soon and return to us even better than before! The LORD is awesome and he can make all things possible. Just remember that and hold on to your faith! Will see you soon!

    Irma Wright-Ford

    ReplyDelete