Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog's Day (or Here We Go Again)

Just got free from a hour of catching up on folding clothes, and since several of you were kind enough to inquire, I'll do a quick update. I'll flesh it out tomorrow (and pursue the Groundhog's Day theme a little further), but for now the Reader's Digest version (yet another dated reference).

After a brief absence that was never a remission, my CLL is back. The nice thing about working with someone the stature of Dr. Cheson is this: if I were going to Southern Maryland Oncology and Bait Shop here in St. Mary's county, they'd shake their heads, pull the next protocol out of the book, and mumble something about perhaps finding a clinical trial. With Dr. Cheson, he excuses himself for a moment, calls the trials nurse, and books me into the latest, most promising trial, for which he is personally the chief investigator.

So where we are is here: in about three weeks, I'll head back up to Georgetown for another bone marrow biopsy (yea!), another CT scan, and some neurological testing to establish a baseline, then one week later I'll start a protocol similar to my first.

I will be given two drugs. The first is one I would have been given anyway called Bendamustine. Absent the trial, they would have also given me my old friend Ritxamab. Instead, as the focus of the trial, I'll be getting a drug whose name sounds like the king of some Central African country--Ofatumumab. Apparently they have been having good results with CLL that has resisted other treatments. Again, it pays to find the right doctor.

As an aside, and as a motivator, I've signed up to run a half-marathon in May. Still love my yoga, but needed something extra to lose the Thanksgiving-Christmas-Disney weight. I also thought it would provide a good focus. I've been in the gym three times this week, and covered 4.1 miles tonight, running for 20 minutes straight at one point. I alternated running and walking for the rest. Total time was 50 minutes. It's actually feeling pretty good.

So the half-marathon prep will be the other storyline for the next four months. What I won't do to keep you people entertained.

7 comments:

  1. Including posting that cartoon referring to me on Face Book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're fortunate to be going to Georgetown and have a great plan. Here's wishing you the very best on the new King of drugs.

    Is there any reason they end the drugs with ....mab? I was on adalimumab before and probably going on ustekinumab this year for the psoriasis. I assumed the ...mab was for systemic inflation or arthritis type stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be rooting for you, Tim...while you undergo this next treatment and when you run your half marathon. I know you're gonna kick ass in both!

    Lisa ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cancer sucks! But... you have a great outlook! We wish you the most strength as you endure your next round of treatments. I'll see you on the roads training for the half--which half btw?
    Brooke Fallon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next round...DING!

    You and yours are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, our thoughts are with you,Liz and Robbie. I know you'll keep up the good fight until you defeat this thing. Quit is not a word you acknowledge. And again, if there is anything we can do from our end to help you out...well, you know the rest.

    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  7. MAB short for monoclonal antibodies. WikiMeno to the rescue.

    Tim - I've always believed the challenges we are given are relative to our will and character to overcome them. Not like we needed more proof, but your strength and character are second to few if any I know.

    Still owe you a beer . . .

    - Meno

    ReplyDelete