Saturday, January 1, 2011

Open for Business Again

Hi all.  Sorry I've been away, but I was enjoying not having any medical news to share.  I couldn't really pretend that the CLL was gone, but at least I didn't have to focus on it.  Without medical news, I felt a little pretentious blogging.  Obviously, since I'm posting again, the situation has changed, and so the blog is back open.

During my December 22nd checkup with Dr. Cheson, he confirmed what I thought I had been sensing:  my lymph nodes are swelling again.  Now remember, I was never officially in remission, so this isn't unexpected.  My blood numbers still look good, though the white counts are up over where they were back in June.  They're still in the acceptable range, but they are up.  So...we're going to go for another ride on the  Chemo Carousel.  I don't know yet the nature of the next round of treatment, but I'm pretty sure it won't be either of the drug sets I've been on before.

On February 2nd, I go back for my next appointment, and if history is an indicator, I'll probably start treatments again almost immediately.

I have a goal of running in a half-marathon this May with some friends, so I'm hoping that whatever we use this time will not be too debilitating.

Other 2011 goals are to keep my yoga practice active, to keep my sense of humor, and to keep my hair.  It would be nice to keep my hair, if only to spare me the crap that I'll get from the ladies in my office should I have to go all "Kojack" on them (for my younger readers, sorry for the old reference--use the Google machine and you'll understand).

SO, it looks like I'm back in the blog business.  Hopefully, we'll have a repeat of 2010, with little medical excitement (except for that whole 'getting a big hunk cut out of my left ear to get rid of the basal carcinoma' thing:  the graft was superb with absolutely minimal aesthetic impact.  Still hurts a little where the cartilage is missing.).  In any case, here we go again.

On a more upbeat note, I was extremely proud of Robbie today.  Liz took him (at his request) to the nearby town of Waldorf to go ice skating.  He had seen the skating rink on the National Mall in DC yesterday and wanted to try.  Well, they found the place, rented the skates, got on the ice and he HATED it.  He made it around the rink once holding onto the rail with both hands and pulling himself along.  He made two more laps holding on to Liz's hand.  After three laps, he left the ice in tears and in a rage.  He swore he was never going to do this again!  Liz, hoping to preserve the situation for another day, came over and said, "It's OK; let's take off your skates." (This is where I get proud.)  He stopped her, saying "No.  No Mommy, I want to go around three more times."   And he did.  And now he likes ice skating.  It's the first time I've really seen him show this kind of resolve.  I'm a little less worried about him making his way in the world.

11 comments:

  1. Tim, you will be in my prayers. Your strength, resolve and love for Liz & Robbie will, again, get you up and over this new hump.

    (Way to go, Robbie!!!)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa. We're just getting out ahead of this thing, so hopefully I won't have to go through anything to draconian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might sound crazy but have you checked out the Gerson Institue or it's therapy. Think you might find it interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mercy cover you and yours in the upcoming days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, another bump in the road. But, I don't doubt you'll see this one through. Our thoughts, like always, are with you, Liz and Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Tim...I check your blog periodically and funny to say was happy to not see any posts because I felt it meant everything was ok. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I know you'll tackle this just like before! Take Care!
    B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm displeased to see you back in the Blog saddle, but have confidence you'll get it beat back again. Let little Robbie's second three laps serve as a metaphor for the upcoming year. Stick to it and you'll see this through.

    And for future reference (you old fart), replace Kojack or Mr. Clean with something more "today", like Britney Spears coming off her bad K-Fed burnout or the old dude on "Lost".

    - Meno

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well at least you and all of us know how to handle this next ride on the roller coaster, just take it day by day and know we are all with you.

    Much love, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you're prioritizing your goals, go for the health and the sense of humor over hair. Let any hair issues just feed your sense of humor! We care and are rooting for you, Liz and Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wish you were not open for "business" again....

    but, prayers, hope, love........ e & j

    ReplyDelete
  11. but grateful to hear your voice.

    ReplyDelete