Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Moment of Silence for Goldie

We had a death in the family.  About a month ago, Liz won a goldfish a the Calvert County Fair, which she gave to Robbie and which he put in our fish tank with our somewhat-startled population of swordtails.  Robbie named the fish "Goldie".  Well, yesterday, after fighting what looked like ick (like I know fish diseases), Goldie succumbed to his/her illness, surrounded by family and friends.  Robbie tried to be blase' about it at first.  He had seen dead fish before.  This was different; this one had a name.  For about 10 minutes, he was kinda upset and teary, then moved on.  We have decided that Goldie rates better than a trip in the old ceramic subway, so we've frozen Goldie and will be having a suitable burial this weekend (weather permitting).

Liz is in Seattle and has been having a hellava trip so far.  On her way to airport Sunday morning she took out a deer with her rental car.  This morning on her way to the Seattle airport, she was the first witness at a fatality accident.  The Washington State Police have asked her to make a taped statement.  Nice bookends for the trip.  She did get home OK.

Finally, a paragraph with no death!  Just a knitting needle in my hip.  I'm scheduled to go to Georgetown on December 3rd for my baselining for the next phase of my clinical trial.  The highlights of the baseline are of course the bone marrow biopsy and the ceremonial drinking of the horrible quart of library paste before the CT scan.  I'll start taking the Revlamid the next week.  It's been nice to be between treatments, but I am ready to start the next phase.

All for now.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the next round. One more step towards success. Think Moby feared Ahab? You should see fish scurry when I walk into the store. Due to my deft skills as an aquarian, Nicholas is a bit more laid back when he sees a floater. Hopefully Robbie won't get as accustomed to this as Nick. And, of course, this means a trip to select a new fish.

    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "lovely" daughters won 6 fish at a carnival. My "lovely" wife had me go purchase all the necessary accoutrements - oversized tank, plastic plant life, food, rock, lights, and a "lovely" serene paper scene to put behind the tank. Five of the fish died almost immediately upon impact with the water. I could have taken the tank back and got my well earned dollars back - since it had hardly been wet for 10 minutes, but alas - the sixth fish lived alone for 2 years - yep, 2 "lovely" years. The tank is no longer a member of the family for fear that an empty tank will beckon the addition of more fish. They got the last laugh - I have a lap dog now and she's a girl. I'm not winning, am I?

    - Meno

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim - Liz pointed me to your blog last Friday, and I just finished reading thru it. I'll stay in touch with your posts and am now part of your support team. Please let me know if there is ever anything that Patti and I could do to help out. Keep up your great attitude, sense of humor, and God bless! Dave Falk.

    ReplyDelete