Saturday, May 2, 2009

Done with Cycle Two

Never--I mean NEVER--ask me to plan your travel, at least based on yesterday.

Good news is that I'm done with my second week of Chemo and still feel fine. The other good news is that Robbie is one hell of a traveler, which was lucky as it turns out.

Robbie and Sunshine came with me yesterday, Sunshine to the kennel and Robbie to Aunt Elena's. Robbie and I are meeting Liz in Philadelphia, where she is running in the Broad Street 10-miler tomorrow.

We left around 9:15 yesterday morning, and it was immediately obvious that we should have left at 8:00. I called Georgetown to let them know I was going to be late, dropped Sunshine at the kennel (I had forgotten her favorite toy) and got to Elena's when I should have gotten to the hospital.

I decided to see if the nav system in the van would use the same route to the hospital as the nav system in the Mini. It didn't. Apparently, I bypassed "Quickest" and "Shortest", and instead selected "Most Convoluted and Congested". It was foreshadowing the day.

Got back to Elena's around 2:30 and was on the road by 3:00, with a planned stop at the College Park REI (an outdoors store) to pick up rain coats for Robbie and myself.

Long story short, we were in stop and go traffic from 3:00 until 6:45, catching rush hour not only in D.C., but also in Baltimore. Robbie was a dream the whole way.

We did get some payback, in our 19th floor room at the Penn's Landing Hyatt, with a room that looks out over the Delaware river. Last night was "Fireworks" night at the ballpark immediately across the river, and I believe it was Robbie's first "real" fireworks display. Made better by the fact we were pretty much eye to eye with the explosions, and had a thick window to muffle the too-loud explosions (Robbie doesn't like loud noises).

It's a little after 1:00 p.m. just now and the Washington Capitals/Pittsburgh Penguins game is on the flat screen. There's two-thirds of a six pack of Yuengling Lager in the mini-fridge (I'll leave you to speculate about the fate of the other third). Liz gets in around 4:30 p.m. I'm going to go watch some hockey.

No comments:

Post a Comment